LS.com homepage  •   LS.com FAQ  •   Resources
In the media  •   Articles  •   WIKI
It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 17:57

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

This is the one of the guest-viewable discussion areas. If you haven't already, sign up as a user (everything is, and always will be, completely free)! Users can engage in discussion in both guest-viewable and member-only subforums. There's also an arcade.

Please post in good faith. We support freedom of speech here but deliberately inflammatory posts will be deleted. Use common sense when writing posts and be sure to read the guidelines (and weep) before posting.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2012, 07:05 
Contributor

Norway recently withdrew all the funding to so called "gender studies" in scientific research much due to a documentary "hjernevask" (Brainwash) shown on National Tv NRK. It shines the light on how feminism do not hold up to science when faced´╗┐ with biology and psychology. The documentary is called "Brainwash - The Gender Equality Paradox"

^That's the first part of the series on youtube. The other parts are in the sidebar.

English subtitles here:

http://genusnytt.wordpress.com/2011/12/ ... usmyterna/

The password to watching the series is: hjernevask

Thanks  
The following users would like to thank Deejay for the above post:
Nature Boy, loveablenerd
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2012, 21:55 
Elite Contributor

Very good film.

Do you have a link to a news article about the decision to withdraw funding from Feminazi Studies programs?

Thanks  
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2012, 23:14 
Elite Contributor

About the vidio, the part where they say that the more developed the country, the less interested in technical things the women are, well, this goes counter to the notion of affirmative action recruiting in the right group. There are hardly any "white" people of any gender in labs. This is seen in the undergraduate and graduate levels as well as in the professors. Most openings going to H1B visas holders. I think this article gives a good explanation, among many, why. http://philip.greenspun.com/careers/women-in-science.

THe vidio came accross the observation "Why more studies are conducted in America" and them being "especially poor," as the article says. Perhaps most studies are headed by a non native trying to justify something. There was one such study by an immigrant from South America who became head of a college department. His study on why immigration from his country is good for the US. Also, the US has an extremely diverse population and therefore many questions arise that one wouldn't think of otherwise.

Elsewhere, concerning women in science, they tended to be more prevalent in research in countries that science jobs were considered lowly by the men of that country, mostly middle eastern countries.

In America, there is a sense of American hiring preference for non American, non citizens. That is, preference for whatever reason for non typical. I don't think people are free to be what they want, to follow their true interests. Those interests are reserved for someone else who sees an opportunity to advance themselves beyond their peers. Like this article, I see it all the time. http://onecentatatime.com/living-well-o ... a-workers/ and it is absolutely disgusting. American poor are forced to live on less than $10,000 because they have to. For their entire life, because there is no place to go where you are valued.

On a more personal note, as a female interested in science, still I must agree there is a tendency to stick with certain mind sets. Before I knew about research in laboratories as a field of its own, when I thought you must either be training to be a doctor/nurse or a natural resource tech (I choose the latter, bad choice), I thought that if forced to go the other way a doctor would be easier because having to interact with people is terrifying. When I was in AIT for field medic training one of our last things was going to the BAMC hospital there in Texas. Not much was going on in the wards of my group so our leader wanted each of us to do a routine check on the next patient that called. I feel immensely uncomfortable entering a person's room and bothering them. That is, waking them up, getting their attention if awake, touching them, asking to take their blood pressure... I preferred if anything the field aspect. If only in simulation, at least when their screaming bloody they aren't going to look at you irriatedly and its easier to discount any discouragement to your advances to help as just condition and think of them more in a more depersonalized way than an individual harboring irritated thoughts at your intrusion.

The part I like most about lab work is the fact that there is little personal interaction except within the group and only acknowledgment of not being the only one in the room at the same time or occasionally more personal than "how was your week, where have you been, what are you working on?" "It's raining, can you give me a ride home?"

Thanks  
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2012, 23:20 
Elite Contributor

Odalis wrote:
THe vidio came accross the observation "Why more studies are conducted in America" and them being "especially poor," as the article says. Perhaps most studies are headed by a non native trying to justify something.
And you just took this as a true statement without question?

Considering the source, I thought it was the result of a toxic combination of insecurity, elitism, and sheer ignorance. In short: Typical of leftist academia.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2012, 23:46 
Contributor

Nature Boy wrote:
Very good film.

Do you have a link to a news article about the decision to withdraw funding from Feminazi Studies programs?

I've been searching all morning but I have not found anything yet. I heard it from someone who lives in Norway. I'll ask him when he's back on skype for a source.

Thanks  
The following users would like to thank Deejay for the above post:
Nature Boy
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2012, 05:35 
Elite Contributor

Just finished watching all of this.

It's amazing how dogmatic the sociologists are in defending their own unscientific assumptions, at the same time as they dismiss biological research as not sufficiently rigorous to be believed.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2012, 19:12 
Contributor

Well apparently he heard it in a news report on TV is not able to find any reports online. I'm willing to take his word on it for now but asked him to continue looking for some evidence at the very least.

Nonetheless I found this documentary pretty thought provoking.

Thanks