LS.com homepage  •   LS.com FAQ  •   Resources
In the media  •   Articles  •   WIKI
It is currently 28 Nov 2014, 22:23

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

This is the one of the guest-viewable discussion areas. If you haven't already, sign up as a user (everything is, and always will be, completely free)! Users can engage in discussion in both guest-viewable and member-only subforums. There's also an arcade.

Please post in good faith. We support freedom of speech here but deliberately inflammatory posts will be deleted. Use common sense when writing posts and be sure to read the guidelines (and weep) before posting.

Post subject: Horror movies
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2010, 08:56 
Elite Contributor

So I am a major horror fan. I started watching horror films when I was 7 or 8 years old. "The Evil Dead" and Dario Argento's "Phenomena" were the first horror movies I have ever seen. I made three horror shorts in my spare time, wrote few horror stories and even a script. I am planning to make another gorefest pretty soon.

Horror genre is such a wide and diverse genre:

Here are some my favourite sub-genres:

- 70's and 80's slasher movies ("Just Before Dawn", "Maniac", "Rituals", "Nightmare", "Friday the 13th", "Halloween", "Tourist Trap" - too many to name)
- Italian gialli ("Deep Red", "What Have You Done to Solange?", "Tenebre", etc.)
- zombie flicks, mostly European ("The Beyond", "Burial Ground", "Let Sleeping Corpses Lie", "Shock Waves", "Zombi Holocaust" etc.)
- serial killer movies ("Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer", "Angst")
- Bigfoot terror ("Night of the Demon", "Shriek of the Mutilated")
- monster movies ("Humanoids from the Deep", "Slithis", "Galaxy of Terror")
- vampire movies ("Vampyres", "Lemora: A Child's Play of the Supernatural", "Near Dark", British "Dracula" movies with Christopher Lee etc.)
- ghost stories ("The Changeling", "The Nesting")
- satanic horror/deadly possession flicks ("The Devil's Rain", "Malabimba", "Enter the Devil")
- rape and revenge subgenre ("I Spit on Your Grave", "Ms. 45", "Last House on the Left", "Late Night Trains" etc.)
- animal attack movies ("Jaws", "Savage Harvest", "Squirm", "Rats: Night of Terror", etc.)
- extreme horror/gore ("Aftermath", "Cannibal Holocaust", "Nekromantik", "Martyrs", "Inside" etc.)

I generally dislike horror comedies with few exceptions like "Braindead".

What else do I miss?

Other film genres I I enjoy: spaghetti westerns, Italian crime flicks, revenge thrilers, survival movies like "Deliverance", disturbing war dramas, to the lesser extent sci-fi movies, and of course exploitation cinema.

So LS users who are into horror genre: please give me the titles of your favourite horror films or perhaps sub-genres?

"He saw towers and walls in nighted depths under the sea, and vortices of space where wisps of black mist floated before thin shimmerings of cold purple haze. - H. P Lovecraft "The Haunter of the Dark".

"There has been no genetic change since we were hunter-gatherers, but deep in the mind of modern man is a simple hunter-gatherer rule: strive to acquire power and use it to lure women who will bear heirs; strive to acquire wealth and use it to buy affairs with other men’s wives who will bear bastards . . . Wealth and power are means to women; women are means to genetic eternity.

Likewise, deep in the mind of modern woman is the same hunter-gatherer calculator, too recently evolved to have changed much: strive to acquire a provider husband who will invest food and care in your children; strive to find a lover who can give those children first-class genes. Only if she is very lucky will they both be the same man . . . Men are to be exploited as providers of parental care, wealth and genes." - Matt Ridley "The Red Queen"

"Humor won’t save you; it doesn’t really do anything at all. You can look at life ironically for years, maybe decades; there are people who seem to go through most of their lives seeing the funny side, but in the end, life always breaks your heart. Doesn’t matter how brave you are, how reserved, or how much you’ve developed a sense of humor, you still end up with your heart broken. That’s when you stop laughing. In the end there’s just the cold, the silence and the loneliness. In the end, there’s only death." - Houellebecq

Last edited by Erebus on 15 Jul 2010, 09:09, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
 Post subject: Re: Horror movies
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2010, 09:04 
T-800, moderator version

Cannibal Holocaust. I mentioned it in the other thread. To watch it, download it from bittorrent.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2010, 09:15 
Extensive Contributor

I enjoy horror. I've seen most of the well known titles, I like to see obscure titles more now though.

Slaughter High (1986)
The Burning (1981)
Madman (1982)
The Final Terror (1983)
Sleepaway Camp (1983)
Chopping Mall (1986)
Maniac Cop (1987)
Creepshow (1982)
Class Reunion Massacre (1976)
Hospital Massacre (1982)
Splatter University (1984)
Sorority House Massacre (1986)
Slumber Party Massacre (1982)
Killer Party (1986)

It's about one gender being above the other." -Bill Greathouse, TFL

"If women went through what men go through especially today,
we would call it sexual and psychological abuse". -Steve Hoca

"The United States is a Sexual and Romantic prison for men". -Steve Hoca

Thanks  
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2010, 09:21 
Contributor

Wow, a good portion of my favorites are mentioned already - Angst, Maniac, Nekromantik, The Burning, Henry, Ms. 45, etc. The only ones I'd absolutely have to add are Dawn of the Dead (which pretty much started it all for me), Return of the Living Dead, Black Christmas, Repulsion, Don't Go in the House, Eyes of a Stranger, Nightmare City, Possession, The Entity, Let Sleeping Corpses Lie, Driller Killer, Suspiria, The Devil's Experiment, and Eyes Without a Face.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2010, 09:24 
Extensive Contributor

where do you guys download or watch these? In dvds? In my fucking country there is no legit business to sell these types. For black market they generally sell stupid hollywood movies. In the US I was able to fınd but in here no. İf anyone knows a website good for downloads or watching it would be great.

"When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murders, and for a time they may seem invincible, but in the end they always fall, always.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2010, 09:27 
Contributor

mig-35 fulcrum wrote:
where do you guys download or watch these?

I'm a long-time DVD and VHS collector/trader, and I've been a Netflix subscriber for about four years.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2010, 09:34 
Extensive Contributor

look online, on torrent sites, edonkey, newsgroups, youtube, google, file hosts. I use to download and watch movies sometimes but not really into it anymore

It's about one gender being above the other." -Bill Greathouse, TFL

"If women went through what men go through especially today,
we would call it sexual and psychological abuse". -Steve Hoca

"The United States is a Sexual and Romantic prison for men". -Steve Hoca

Thanks  
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2010, 09:55 
Elite Contributor

I am also collecting horror movies on VHS and DVD. I have some rare releases for example French DVD release of Abel Ferrara's "Ms. 45".

But I do download some rare and obscure stuff, which is out-of-print and unavailable on DVD.

The best website dealing with downloads is Cinemageddon, but you must be invited to join it.

Occassionaly I download from Demonoid for example two days ago I finally downloaded "A Serbian Movie" (2010). A must-see for the fans of extreme horror.

"He saw towers and walls in nighted depths under the sea, and vortices of space where wisps of black mist floated before thin shimmerings of cold purple haze. - H. P Lovecraft "The Haunter of the Dark".

"There has been no genetic change since we were hunter-gatherers, but deep in the mind of modern man is a simple hunter-gatherer rule: strive to acquire power and use it to lure women who will bear heirs; strive to acquire wealth and use it to buy affairs with other men’s wives who will bear bastards . . . Wealth and power are means to women; women are means to genetic eternity.

Likewise, deep in the mind of modern woman is the same hunter-gatherer calculator, too recently evolved to have changed much: strive to acquire a provider husband who will invest food and care in your children; strive to find a lover who can give those children first-class genes. Only if she is very lucky will they both be the same man . . . Men are to be exploited as providers of parental care, wealth and genes." - Matt Ridley "The Red Queen"

"Humor won’t save you; it doesn’t really do anything at all. You can look at life ironically for years, maybe decades; there are people who seem to go through most of their lives seeing the funny side, but in the end, life always breaks your heart. Doesn’t matter how brave you are, how reserved, or how much you’ve developed a sense of humor, you still end up with your heart broken. That’s when you stop laughing. In the end there’s just the cold, the silence and the loneliness. In the end, there’s only death." - Houellebecq

Thanks  
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2010, 10:06 
Elite Contributor

By the way here is the link to watch "Angst" online. A pure masterpiece of serial killer cinema and my favourite horror ever. I own it on German DVD.

http://stagevu.com/video/vbtyppyhkxvx

Thanks  
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2010, 10:50 
Contributor

Didn't know A Serbian Film was even released yet. The trailer I saw looked promising.

I agree on Angst being a masterpiece. Some of the more powerful and bleak serial killer movies seem to come from Germany...Schramm, Amoklauf, Mosquito der Schander, The Child I Never Was, Cannibal, and of course M.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2010, 13:57 

I like horror movies.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2010, 14:53 
Traitor

movies

- - -
Lonely men seek companionship. Lonely women sit at home and wait. They never meet

Thanks  
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2010, 17:03 
HULK SMASH!

I love horror movies...

ESPECIALLY ones where alpha males and cheerleaders get slaughtered...Oh it makes my fucking day! :D

Thanks  
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2010, 17:13 

Mikey wrote:
I love horror movies...

ESPECIALLY ones where alpha males and cheerleaders get slaughtered...Oh it makes my fucking day! :D

Yeah but in slasher movies at least, the incel nerd usually gets killed too :cry:

Thanks  
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2010, 17:38 
Traitor

movies

- - -
Lonely men seek companionship. Lonely women sit at home and wait. They never meet

Thanks